Inspired by the COO of SpaceX, Gwynne Shotwell’s revelations in her TEDx talk published previously (and here), IReallyAppreciateScience has initiated a series of articles and links to articles by other publications on a singular question…
“Why America is in 4th Place in Advanced Tech, when in the last Century it was in 1st?”
Blue Origin, NASA, SpaceX say with voices the World can understand, “Humans will return to the Moon by 2024”
Richard Heinlein wrote the novel “The Moon is a Harsh Mistress”. He looked up and saw Luna, Goddess of the Moon. I didn’t have to look that far. I attended the 48th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Mission to the Moon with a living, breathing Luna who’s project was to organize an all-woman crew of Astronauts to the Moon. We were there to see/meet Buzz Aldrin and Mae Jemison, and other Astronauts of NASA. We were there to see Jeff Bezos accept the Award given by Buzz for Space Innovator of 2017.
Mae Jemison, NASA Space Shuttle Astronaut on board. First Black Woman Astronaut (but not the last!).
Photos copyrighted: Dr. Kenneth M. Beck and Luna, ‘Goddess of The Moon.’ Competition Kilt is US Coast Guard and based on Alexander Hamilton’s own family tartan (I came in 3rd that year in the MWC Highland Games in Iceland, and Luna designed her own gown.) Luna is a skilled engineer and cloths designer. She will never come up short without an EVA spacesuit on her mission, like NASA!
One reason that we are no longer in 1st place in Advanced Technology, despite protestations by “experts” and “NASA Administrators”, both Democrat and Republican:
We gave up on Human Space Exploration in the early 21st Century. Just ask Buzz Aldrin! “We didn’t go onto Mars!”
Winning the “Space Race to the Moon” allowed the USA, in a very real way, to win the Cold War. As a result, as center of Empire, we became accustom to the easy life; the bureaucratic life.
NASA is a prime example of that bureaucracy. Running the Space Shuttle too long with no viable program to take its place. It never did make 60 missions a year – its stated goal, by the way. As Richard Feynman summarized well in From Earth To Moon to Reality for NASA.
2024 – The Question is not Why? The Question is Why Not an All-Woman Crew?
The date set by the VPOTUS, SpaceX/ ElonMusk and the woman who makes SpaceX run and gives it a whole lot of vision, Gwynne Shotwell is 2024. Now Blue Origin/ Jeff Bezos says 2024. There is movement via Virgin Galatica to send an all women crew. Even the VPOTUS -who chose his words carefully in giving the command to NASA, “Let me be clear, the FIRST WOMAN and the next man on the Moon will be American Astronauts, launched by American rockets, from American soil.” He did not rule out an all-woman crew, BTW. The next man might be on the follow-up craft, re-supplying the Moon Base.
Summarizing JFK’s Rice University Speech
(1) Only a free people, representing all ethic backgrounds and cultures can explore space without prejudices to the scientific discoveries and to our own ignorance, bringing the BEST of Humankind.
(2) “We do it, not because it is easy, but because it is HARD.” Because it is HARD, it brings out and fortifies our strengths, and exposes our weaknesses. This is friendly competition to make us into teams. Because it is HARD, it unites us in the challenge.
(3) So, if we explore space, “WE MUST LEAD IT”, because to fulfill our commitments to ourselves and to humankind in general and all nations in particular the USA must lead. “ONLY A FREE PEOPLE CAN DO THAT.”
(4) And right now, we have a glimmer of a chance to keep space clear of, “weapons of mass destruction” and, “in a state of peace and freedom” for all humankind.
(5) “Some say, this is too much…We should bide our time. No, we are not sprung from a people that bided its time and waited,” for a King 3,000 miles to make up his mind and grant us our freedom. Who took it! As we plan to take space and space exploration. Not for ourselves alone, but for all free people, and nations, and future generations.
“WE PLAN TO GO TO MOON IN THIS DEC-ADE.” (JFK CLAPS HIS HANDS ONCE)
“WE PLANE TO LEAD THE EXPLORATION OF SPACE.” (JFK CLAPS HIS HANDS A SECOND TIME).