“The Trump administration has been trying to get the case thrown out, and the high court’s order didn’t ensure a clear road ahead. Now, the trial is on hold again.
- “Two weeks after it put the case on hold, the U.S. Supreme Court allowed a lawsuit brought by 21 children and young adults against the federal government over climate change to proceed. But the Trump administration’s attempts to derail the lawsuit weren’t over, and now the trial is on hold again.
- “In their order on Nov. 2, the Supreme Court justices had suggested that the government’s arguments ought to be considered by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals before being reviewed by the nation’s highest court.
- “The Trump administration filed a new request with the appeals court a few days later, and that court agreed on Nov. 8 to place a temporary stay on the trial while it considers the government’s latest attempt to have the case thrown out. The trial had been scheduled to start Oct. 29 in U.S. District Court in Oregon.
“Given the urgency of climate change, we hope the Ninth Circuit will recognize the importance to these young Americans of having a prompt trial date,” said attorney Philip Gregory, co-council for the children along with Julia Olson, executive director of the nonprofit Our Children’s Trust. The appeals court gave the attorneys 15 days to file a response to the government’s latest petition, and the government will have five days to respond after that.
“We will continue to move the case forward by completing discovery and responding to the various petitions filed by the Trump administration,” Gregory said. “We want to commence presenting the climate science in court as soon as possible.”