Jack and First Lady Jackie, the mother of his children
Everything we love of America is here. See LBJ in the front right, thinking and taking notes as his President speaks after minute 10? Hear the tribute to Science and Scientists? To the Republic and The Tax-payers and the honesty with the folks paying for it? So many of us. So many from this generation of scientists took our first steps thanking those who saw – like us – the need for a strong American Science program and then paid for it!
Here is what the most recent Noble Laureate in Physics wrote in 1973 for his book GRAVITATION as an acknowledgment…
For this application cover letter to NASA for a voluntary position on the Scientific Study Team for LISA before I reconsidered and withdrew. I believe the values of LISA were not those of the USA. Nor was NASA leading it…
Finally, JFK inspired a new era of American Re-assessment in all avenues of our social life as a people:
As you can see, my generation took The Moon challenge deadly serious. We saw the internal logic of JFK’s speech: We are behind. Humans will be explore space with, or without, Americans. We need to explore space for our own good and that of Humankind.
(1) Only a free people, representing all ethic backgrounds and cultures can explore space without prejudices to the scientific discoveries and to our own ignorance, bringing the BEST of Humankind.
(2) “We do it, not because out is easy, but because it is HARD.” Because it is HARD, it brings out and fortifies our strength, and exposes our weaknesses. This is friendly competition to make us into teams. Because it is HARD, it unites us in the challenge.
(3) So, if we explore space, “WE MUST LEAD IT”, because to fulfill our commitments to ourselves and to humankind in general and all nations in particular the USA must lead. “ONLY A FREE PEOPLE” can do that.
(4) And right now, we have a glimmer of a chance to keep space clear of, “weapons of mass destruction” and, “in a state of peace and freedom” for all humankind.
(5) “Some say, this is too much…We should bide our time. No, we are not sprung from a people that bided its time and waited,” for a King 3,000 miles to make up his mind and grant us our freedom. Who took it! As we plan to take space and space exploration. Not for ourselves alone, but for all free people, and nations, and future generations.
“WE PLAN TO GO TO MOON IN THIS DEC-ADE.” (JFK CLAPS HIS HANDS ONCE)
“WE PLANE TO LEAD THE EXPLORATION OF SPACE.” (JFK CLAPS HIS HANDS A SECOND TIME).
Today it is even more true. An Astronaut friend this summer confounded many by saying, “Some in the Administration think JFK was wrong in setting The Moon as our goal in 10 years.”
This was not some musical or mythical Camelot. This was the 20th Century Highpoint of this American Republic. I was 12. Everything we have from PCs and Tang, to internet and carbon fiber and high tech flow from the fact we took up that challenge JFK laid down.